Vote Charlie!

Taxes done, happy birthday Brad

Posted at age 27.

Today I woke up later than hoped as usual, but not super late: 10:30ish. Brad broke up and went to work before 8, and I hope to pick it up at that time also, but when I finally went to bed around 2 I was still quite awake and it took me at least an hour or two to fall asleep. I had a bunch of weird dreams, especially in the morning as I kept hitting the snooze button and waking up and going back to bed.

This is also one of the first times I’m using voice transcription to write my journal. I’m not sure it’s that much faster since I’m staring at the text as it’s being written by the phone but if it gets me to write more than I would otherwise I guess that’s a good thing. I’m writing it in a Google doc for now, as opposed to an email to myself as I was about to do. I figured it would get stuck in my inbox for ever and I might as well just use the Google Doc.

Anyway, I hoped to work on my program all day today but it took a while to get going as usual. I was chugging along by 2 or 3 in the afternoon. I basically worked without stopping until around 10 p.m., with a small break for making one of those cornbread crust pizzas I am slightly addicted to from Faletti grocery store down the street. They are a bit overpriced but something about the text you I love.

Then I switched gears to finish my taxes, which I started a couple of months ago, but I realized I was going to owe several thousand dollars and then stopped. I had previously entered a bunch of stuff manually from my Motif and Wealthfront and Betterment investment accounts. When I did it via the automatic import which is available now, but wasn’t when I first started the taxes, I figured out I apparently even more than expected before period something about wash sale rule discount that I can’t use it yet because I need to sell the securities. The final damage was a federal tax bill of $2,999 and a California tax bill of $129. More to add to my pretty massive credit card debt! I better start getting on this job thing.

Then an hour or 30 minutes before midnight I was ready to file and almost printed my state taxes so I could avoid the $25 fee that TurboTax charges, but I realized only one post office not near me is open till midnight. Somehow I thought I could just throw it in a post office box but figured I shouldn’t risk it.

I thought I would continue programming after the taxes but I got so tired, so instead I did a quick ab workout and showered. The workout was much harder than usual and I was somewhat light headed, which is kind of strange since I think I ate enough today and have been drinking water, so I probably could have been drinking more. So I drink a bunch of water and took a melatonin now and we’ll just try to sleep soon. I’m in bed now reading to my phone from my mind, so I’m not that tired yet, but I’ll see when I finish typing this if I can fall asleep!

So far this experience has taught me my journal will probably consist of a lot more insignificant information if I continue writing entries by voice transcription. Overall the punctuation and capitalization has been reasonable. I expected a lot of capitalization problems because when I use voice transcription for texting it is always capitalizing random words following some pattern I don’t understand, or perhaps not following any pattern at all. But when I’m typing, actually I mean saying, long sentences right now there are no randomly capitalized words that I have noticed yet.

I guess I’ll have to make sure to file these under my “personal” category so it doesn’t look like it’s an entry I want the whole world to read! That out to solve the verbosity and triviality problem…